A couple have been asking where they can find the Dan Pink Drive video used in ‘The surprising science behind agile leadership’ session. It’s on youtube but you can also watch it here.
August 11, 2011
October 2, 2010
My good friend Chad Fournier recently shared this great link about Dan Pink’s excellent book Drive: The surprising truth about what motivates us.
This video blew me away.
When and how money does (and does not) motivate us?
- Turns out money is a fine motivator for mechanical tasks (like ditch digging)
- But is actually a terrible motivator for things that require any kind of form of engagement and creative thinking
The best use of money as a motivator, is to pay people enough to take the issue of money off the table.
- Why innovation bonuses don’t work and what you can do about it!
- Why people blog, share ideas, write software, and give it away for free?
- What happens when the profit motive becomes unhitched from the purpose?
This video beautifully summarizes why people like you and me get up early in the morning, head to Starbucks to blog on weekends (even when you are in another city) and go out of our way to give our best ideas away.
If you can spare the 10 minutes watch this video (3 millions others already have!).
You can watch more Dan Pink here at TED.